For this piece, I wanted a primitive -K mod. You may notice from the previous post that it still had the medium laser on the right arm--so that was amputated. The LRM-5 was added to the torso with careful drilling. To model the PPC, I carefully removed the muzzle break from a Black Knight (IWM 20-774).
From there, I airbrushed black primer followed by dark brown. On top of this, I added two layers of chipping and wear fluid. Like the Primitive Griffin, this piece will have a worn look.
Wanting to to make this an homage to the early days of Battletech, I decided on Night Stalker colors to match the Dougram Boxfacer colors.
The airbrush scheme was:
1) Black re-prime
2) Grey at 45*
3) White at 0*
4) Blue glaze
After this stage, I gently scrubbed away the layers with water and a toothbrush to reveal the brown under the chipping fluid.
With the chips made, I added a few red highlights and touched up a few grey and blue spots.
To add to the rust effect, I sponged burnt sienna and bright orange onto the exposed brown. The final step to the rust effect was to wash sepia and bright orange on the rust. To give it a faded, streaked look, I pulled the fluid down with a dry brush.
Don't forget to find my work on Instagram (some even before they receive a write-up here!): the_artist_known_as_capn_ed
Also, be sure to join Battletech Painting and Customs on Facebook to see the work of many talented artists!
Tutorials and Projects